In what feels like a stream of announcements about live events returning, news from Leed International Piano Competition about its second-round in September 2021 is very welcome indeed. If there is a must-attend in the calendar it has to be ‘The Leeds’. My jaunt to hear Eric Lu was a very special affair indeed.
The twenty-four shortlisted competitors are from 18 countries: three from China; two from Britain, Russia, South Korea & Ukraine and one from Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Germany, Iran, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Peru and Poland.
Finalists will compete for generous cash prizes, worth over £90,000, in addition to a selection of industry packages that support young artists at the beginning of their careers, including artistic management from Askonas Holt, a studio recording with Warner Classics, a major European tour organised with partners Steinway & Sons, plus concert and recording opportunities with London’s Wigmore Hall, Southbank Centre and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
Who are the competitors in the second round of the Leeds International Piano Competition?
Those competitors with Spotify tracks available are linked below.
For full biographical details visit the Leeds Piano website.
1. Nour Ayadi (21, Morocco)
2. Alim Beisembayev (22, Kazakhstan)
3. Dmytro Choni (27, Ukraine)
4. Federico Gad Crema (21, Italy)
5. Galyna Gusachenko (28. Ukraine)
6. Arseniy Gusev (22, Russia)
7. Tyler Hay (26, British)
8. So Hyang In (29, South Korea)
9. Thomas Kelly (22, British)
10. Elizaveta Kliuchereva (21, Russia)
11. Kaito Kobayashi (25, Japan)
12. Maximilian Kromer (24, Austria)
13. Lucas Krupinski (28, Poland)
14. Ariel Lanyi (23, Israel)
15. Ying Li (23, China)
16. Yuzhang Li (21, China)
17. Lovre Marusic (28, Croatia)
18. Priscila Navarro (26, Peru)
19. Hyunjin Roh (20, South Korea)
20. Arash Rokni (27, Iran)
21. Victoria Vassilenko (28, Bulgaria)
22. Tony (Yike) Yang (22, Canada)
23. Gabriel Yeo (22, Germany)
24. Xiaolu Zang (21, China)
Who is on the jury of the Leeds International Piano Competition?
Imogen Cooper (England)
Artistic Director Adam Gatehouse (England)
Silke Avenhaus (Germany)
Inon Barnatan (Israel/ USA),
Adrian Brendel (England)
Gaetan Le Divelec (France)
Ingrid Fliter (Argentina)
Ludovic Morlot (France/ USA)
Steven Osborne (Scotland)
When is the Leeds International Piano Competition?
The second round of the Leeds International Piano Concerto runs from 8-10 September.
The semi-finals will be staged from 12-14 September. The Finals will run from 17 – 18 September.
All stages will be screened on Medici.TV
Live audience tickets available via the Leeds Piano website.